Thursday, April 21, 2011

Slow Technology

Since I came across the words "slow technology" I have been coming up with what it might mean - but not actually finding out. I decided it should be "good" - slow technology should include new inventions which make life better, not just for one person for the moment, but for people - and the environment - and the future. I thought an example of slow technology might be a exercycle which I could use for exercise, while thinking my thoughts - or listening to music - which saves the awesome power of my clycling legs for future power needs. I'm sure such a thing exists, I may even have seen one. I also thought there might be a link with "old" technology, "low" technology if you like. Stuff that achieves a job - slowly - while also providing exercise and meditative time (push mowing the lawn, horse and cart, vaginal birth (no just kidding, that aint technology)) and in the past accidentally but now surely with more purpose NOT wasting precious energy and filling our world with broken bits of plastic.
So what do the creators of the phrase say it means?
"We present slow technology: a design agenda for technology aimed at reflection and moments of mental rest rather than efficiency in performance" from 'Slow Technology Designing for Reflection' by Lars Hallnas and Johan Resstrom. Now that to me sounded pretty much along the lines I was thinking. But a few sentences in and frankly the whole thing was pretty much over my head - and I threw my hands up in admission of defeat when I got to this example:
"Imagine an electronic doorbell that plays short fragments of a very
long melody each time we press the doorbell button. To fully grasp the
doorbell through its behaviour, we have to stop and reflect for a
moment each time it rings and only over time we can grasp the whole melody. It is technology that claims time. Is this “slow” doorbell a
better doorbell than the ordinary one playing the same two or three
tones over and over again? The difference in aesthetics between the
two doorbells is a difference in philosophy of design; the “slow”
doorbell is not designed to be “just” an efficient signalling mechanism
for non-reflective use, but rather an artefact that through its
expression
and slow appearance puts reflective “use” in focus. It is a doorbell
designed for reflection in a world of expressions using time and
presence as key parameters."
Hmmmmmmm not getting it.

More thought required, to be revisited.

Oh another example came up in my search from a different source: real snail mail http://www.realsnailmail.net/profiles.php love it lots :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment