Sunday, April 24, 2011

My image of a West Coast Easter.

Took the boys out to Shanty Town for the Easter Egg hunt this morning. The actual egg hunting was a bit of a disaster, I ended up accepting a sneaky handful of tiny foil wrapped chocs from a friend and discretely hiding them nearby and encouraging the boys to look right there RIGHT NOW. Anyway, the highlight for me was the lovely gentleman who closes the doors and rides back and forth on the steam train (he probably does more important things than that, but thats what I notice) telling me that the Weka made off with many of the smaller eggs hidden around the place. There are quite a few fluffy weka chicks around at the moment so since then I've had this delightful image in my head of a Mama weka racing guiltily through the bush - you know how they do - with a beak full of choccies for her nest full of littles. Sigh. Got to be a children's story in that.

The highlight for the boys was getting a ride in the carriage pulled by Clydesdales. Although Oscar had maybe had enough excitement by then, and the sheep skin seat cover put him in zone out mode.

Leo and I worked on a joint sewing project a few days ago. We made a cape for his best friend who visited earlier in the week. L's friend is mad on Knights - so we went through my fabric stash and found suitable bits and pieces.

Leo did the rough cutting and decided on the placement of the patches - we used his best cape as a pattern. The whole thing was finished by the time Oscar woke from his nap, very satisfying!


I was inspired by last weekends sewing bee organised by Sandra (www.lettersfromwetville.blogspot.com) to make dress-ups for Christchurch Kindies.

I've also started two messenger bags - one for an adult - pohutakawa image, and the other for child - dinosaur themed. They are proving bit frustrating at this stage, too many decisions to make.

No comments:

Post a Comment