Tuesday, December 7, 2010

running, spending and the naughty place

Last week I ran my first ever 10k.  It was fantastic.  I enjoyed the run, felt great afterwards and the next day I only felt very slightly sore.  Nothing compared to my first run earlier this year, that hurt for a week.  I even repeated the experience a few days later and thought I was ready to up my regular 5k runs into 10k runs.  Totally taking advantage of having hubby at home to mind the boys.  Reality has dawned,  despite my current time-rich status 10 k runs are not going to make it into the daily or even most days category.  I have also been disheartened to note that my 5 k runs have not magically become easy now that I know I can do 10.  I know my fitness has improved, and my runs have become a very enjoyable and important part of my routine.  I have also learned - or re-learned how suggestable I am.  I always have more energy on the return leg of a run, even when pushing the boundaries of my capabilities. 

I have being trying to get my head around the way 'working' and 'non working' people are treated in our community.  When hubby stopped working we lost our 'working for families' income.  That seems obvious given the name of the benefit, but it still seems insane to me.  We lose our main income - so we also lose our 'reward' for supporting the NZ economy?   I was talking to a doctor friend last week who pointed out that a person who suffers from a repetitive strain injury who is employed gets many benefits from doctors bills, paid time off work and rehab.  A stay at home parent suffering the same injury gets nothing.  
We are stressed about money, there is no denying that - but not in the way that many people surrounding us are.   We are not on the bread line, but we can see it from here (who said that?).     Aside from the obvious financial disadvantages of unemployment we have found our family life has benefited immensely.   Two parents can give two children a lot of extra one on one.  One of us can go on school trips with L while the other hangs with O.   We haven't got the balance right (unless we win lotto) but it's very hard to see why everything is so clearly geared to encouraging parents to leave their kids and dive into full time work - except for the economy.  Don't buy it!!!

We have been alarmed to note that O one week shy of his 3rd birthday has launched a campaign to loosen the impact of the naughty place - dumb name I know, but until now it worked (a boring spot on the hall).  Tonight, not wanting to go to bed he requested the naughty place - took himself there - sat peacefully and then when parentally returned to bed  he screamed to return to the naughty place.  sheesh.

No comments:

Post a Comment