Thursday, December 16, 2010

Endurance, Craft Fair and a Birthday

Mark is an English freind of mine who is super fit, and I mean exceptionally fit - run all day and then some fit - with and over dose of determination,  recently tore his calf muscle 17 hours into a 24 hour run up hills and through ice and snow.   Now I don't aspire to this kind of endurance.  I have what I consider a healthy dose of pain avoidance.  But I have been thinking about Mark on my dinky little 30 minute runs down to the beach - and it has helped me to feel energetic when I might otherwise feel quite pooped.  The whole 'oh God it's hot and my legs are quite tired' notion seems to evaporate if I pretend I've been running for hours and hours and this is just the last little bit.   I noticed after only a month or two of running that I ALWAYS have enough energy to speed up for the last minute - even if part way through I was close to giving up.  Even though I am constantly presented with evidence of my own suggestability I am still suprised by it.  It doesn't make sense that legs that were telling me they couldn't possibly do this can now go Faster when the only thing that has changed is me knowing I'm nearly there.   If I could access that energy earlier in my run would  it still be available later? 

Had a fun evening at the Christmas Craft Fair.  Sold lots of little bits and pieces which was a real ego booster - now I'm going online browsing to see what glam fabrics I can add to my wish list :-)

Today was Oscar's 3rd birthday.   One of my best friends had her baby on the same day (and also has a matching 6 year old) so we got them all together for cake and ice cream.  I love how few kids it takes to make a party!!  Here is a photo of his cake - I didn't make it - I won it at the cake auction at the Grey Main School Gala (it's been in the freezer).   The kid who make this cake has major talent!!
And here's the birthday boy blowing out his candles with a spoon- straw

No comments:

Post a Comment