Thursday, January 13, 2011

happiness

I've been reading about happiness - well there is an article on the subject in a mag residing in the magazine shelf in our loo - so it's been a case of little and often.  I'm intrigued by the idea it puts forward that our overall level of happiness is actually affected very little by the events in our lives.  One example it gives is from a study of women in 2002 which found that rearing children was only slightly more satisfying than doing the dishes - and not quite s satisfying as jogging.  I assume by 'rearing children' they meant 'spending time with their children' as the task of 'rearing children' seems to me to be incomparable to dishes as it takes 20 years or more to complete.  I was amused.  The article also talked about happiness set points - something you apparently inherit.  Which leads me to think of a nifty title for my family history:  'My Miserable Ancestors - a vaguely depressive personality explained'.


On a completely different note here is one of the dino messenger bags I've been making.  Modeled by me and the children are not still unless sleeping.






I have also found LEGO fabric!!!! After much searching I might add - yay for www.etsy.com
I've been making little loot bags for Leo's upcoming 7th birthday party which will be LEGO themed.  I've made some extras and have used one to put the pieces of a puzzle card Leo made for his friend Sammy.   Sammy's Mum is one of my best friends - we were pregnant with our first baby's together, taught a special needs class together and, when our wee boys were 1 we lived a block from each other.  She now lives 3 hours drive away and has FOUR children (!!) but we will be seeing them this weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment