Wednesday, March 9, 2011

7 year old enthusiasm and my new wallet

Today I have noticed again how different my son Leo is from me. When I was 7 (it was a while ago so memories may not be entirely accurate) I remember being very very eager to please. I would have been horrified at the prospect of being late for school, despite never having been late for school. Leo just calmly points out the evidence. Me "Leo we have to go now! your teacher will be cross!" Leo "Jimmy is always late and the teacher doesn't mind" (I'm thinking to myself well Jimmy does have three siblings under 5 and a single Mum and the teacher almost certainly knows this and recognises the effort involved in getting him to school at any time.... I digress). I noticed it at the gypsy fair this weekend too, as he begged to be allowed to ride the 4 wheel motorbike - my feeble attempts to talk him out of it failed - Raining "go wait in a tent". Oscar and I will get bored "you love looking at crafts!" Oscar will be jealous because he's too little "he could have a pony ride" It costs money! "you have some money". O.k.... As he whizzed around the track, gleeful and fast (the lovely chap looking after the bikes kept pretending to have a heart attack as he went round the corners) I saw several other parents with sons, some younger than Leo, practically forcing them to have a go. "You'll love it!" "Go on!" "That looks like your thing!" apprehensive little faces tight lipped, not making eye contact. I'm fairly sure that at 7 years old I would have done anything to get out of riding a loud, fast, unfamiliar machine - I wouldn't have even spoken to the bearded gentleman running the show! Would I have benefited from being pushed? Perhaps we are lucky that this unfamiliar (to me) enthusiasm for diving into new experiences is not easily squashed by my inability to relate to it, who knows.
Poor chap had a hard lesson at school today - such was his enthusiasm for swimming he ran across the courts instead of walking as per his teachers instructions and consequently spent swimming time in the sick bay having his grazed knee cleaned and dressed :-( Natural justice can be so cruel!

I have been working on a wallet design lately. The first (I'll call it a prototype retrospectively) was a disaster. It looked cute, I loved it, I put in my coins, my one card voucher and finally my cards.... only to discover that once cards were inserted into the carefully measured card slots the snap closure no longer reached it's buddy on the othe side. GRRR
So... Mark 2 I'm happier with - at least I can close it loaded now. Also ironed out a little mix up with the zippered coin pocket which I had managed to sew with wrong side of fabric showing inside the pocket in the prototype. I will probably make a few more of these for my next market whenever that is, in different fabrics. I might have gone overboard with the 'boy' fabrics with this one, but I think they're cute and I do like them to think I'm fabulously cool.



No comments:

Post a Comment